Carbohydrates are the types of nutrients can be obtained from a variety of foods and beverages in the form of flour and sugar. Therefore, the excess carbohydrates are likely to occur, especially in people of Indonesia are mostly eat rice as a staple food. Low-carb diet is a diet that restricts the intake of carbohydrates, or customize it to your needs and your daily activities. It is beneficial to maintain weight and prevent obesity.
The main guidelines for low-carbohydrate diets
Low-carb diets themselves do not have a specific definition is to reduce the intake of carbohydrates than usual. In general, healthy adults are advised to consume about 300-400 grams of carbohydrates per day. When a diet, carbohydrate intake can be reduced by half, or about 150-200 grams.
Reduction of carbohydrates should be consistent with the patterns of activity, and be done slowly in a matter of a weekly or monthly. Avoid lowering carbohydrate intake too much if you actively move with high enough intensity. Too little carbohydrate metabolism will decrease and can eliminate muscle mass. Decrease your intake of carbohydrates should be balanced with protein and fiber intake is adequate.
What should be eaten if you want to live a low-carb diet?
Most of the reduced amount of carbohydrates should be replaced by eating a variety of protein from meat, fish, eggs, and nuts. To maintain a sense of satiety, eat vegetables and fruit as well as a healthy fat sources of dairy, coconut oil, and butter.
Low-carb diets are generally not lower the excess calories, just avoid the intake of simple carbohydrates too much. In this diet, avoid a variety of sugary drinks, foods containing gluten, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, foods “low fat” flour and processed foods. Choose a variety of raw or cooked food in advance compared to the food packaging.
Are still must eat rice?
Rice can still be consumed because it contains no gluten, so it only reduced the amount of intake. Besides rice, some foods that contain carbohydrates that tend to be healthy as potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and a variety of nuts can also be consumed to continue to provide the energy required.
Various methods of diet with low carbohydrate intake
Various methods also apply carbohydrate diet fewer and replace them with other food ingredients, including:
- Paleo diet – the kind of diet that is closest to the basic low-carbohydrate diet, because it avoids sugars and processed flour. Paleo diet also avoid carbohydrates from dairy products and wheat. Thus, the type of food consumed only meat, eggs, fish and seafood, vegetables and fruits, and tubers.
- The Mediterranean diet – a diet based on the type of civilization in the Mediterranean in the 20th century Same with basic low-fat diet, Mediterranean diet just as well apply food choices. Prioritizing the Mediterranean diet intake of vegetables and fruit as well as a source of protein from fish and eggs. Also limit your intake of meat and dairy are more rare. Mediterranean diet also avoid the intake of sugar and refined carbohydrates completely.
- Low-carbohydrate diet high in fat – the kind of diet that tend to be balanced because it still takes a variety of sources of nutrients. Tolerable levels of carb intake by 100 grams per day and is accompanied by the type of food fish, meat, eggs, vegetables and fruit. Only the consumption of fat just from meat and dairy, and avoid fats from fried foods.
- Ketogenic diet – the kind of diet that aims to make the body undergoes ketosis condition in which the body does not use carbohydrates from food to produce energy. A diet is more emphasis on the amount of protein and fat, as well as a very minimal amount of carbohydrates, ie less than 50 grams per day.
- Atkins Diet – is a type of diet with reduced levels of carbohydrates to only about 20 grams per day. Instead, there are no limitations that are sure to eat protein and fat. Atkins Diet has several phases in lowering carbohydrate intake and is slowly replaced with beans, vegetables, and fruit until the body getting used to a more healthy carbohydrate sources. Atkins Diet can also be done by a vegetarian with the consumption of gluten, soy beans, nuts, and oils from plants.
- Zero Carb Diet – done in a way not eat carbs at all. This type of diet also consume only animal sourced foods. It is not known with certainty the effect of this diet, but consumption of foods low plant can cause a deficiency of vitamin C and fiber.
Which should be considered when you are low-carb diet
The main purpose of the low-carb diet is weight management, but there are some things that might inhibit the effects of low-carbohydrate diets. Therefore, it will be important to observe that actually lead to obesity, such as stress and sleep disorders. Routine physical activity is also necessary to regulate metabolism and prevent loss of muscle mass when dieting.
Consistency feeding behavior also affects the effects of this diet. Note the snacking behavior when feeling hungry, because eating foods too often can hamper the body adapt to the low-carb diet. Too little carbohydrate intake without prior adaptation can lead to yo-yo effect, causing weight gain higher.